Wednesday, November 19, 2014

It's Not Monday

In a quest to be "on top of things", I've booked our flight for my sister-in-law's wedding. I was about to book our hotel room, but hit a little snag. The couple have reserved a block of rooms at a fantastic hotel and scored at great rate to boot. I'm counting down the days until we'll be there. Any chance I get to stay somewhere that someone else cleans the bathroom and I'm all over it! I tried booking on-line with their reservation code and was surprised to see the difference between the price we'd have to pay versus the price we thought we were paying is about $400 before taxes.That's a big jump in price for a 3-day hotel stay so I called the hotel to figure it out.Turns out the block of rooms included in the contract only includes rooms with a King bed. Because those rooms don't fit a roll-away bed and they don't allow more than 2 guests in those rooms, we're stuck with getting a double room. Which means we have to shell out more money. Even if we could get a King room, the wedding rate wouldn't include the first night we'd be staying. Since we planned on going out a day earlier than we need to see the sights, it's not included in their contract and the price difference is about $200. There are a few things that could happen so we have some things to think about.  

1.) We could  just pay the difference. 
2.) We could change our flights and fly out a day later than planned. This isn't my favorite option because we'd be getting into the city around late afternoon on the day of the wedding rehearsal. Since S and Goose are in the wedding, that would be cutting it close in terms of checking into the hotel and getting ready for the evening.There wouldn't be a flight change fee but I've looked and there aren't any other non-stop flights that work with our schedule which means a lay-over.
3.) Sister-in-law could ask to have double rooms included in the contract. The front desk let me know that she could call and have it included in her contract if there were double rooms available. This would take care of nights #2 and #3 but night #1 would still be about $200 more than we originally thought.  This is also not a favorite option because I think it's bad form to make that kind of request and she's getting married and has enough things to worry about.

If I had my choice, I'd pick option #1 but we'll have to see what S thinks and go from there.  I like to have things in place so being prepared to have something ready to be checked of the to-do list and then having to table it makes me grouchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment