Friday, January 16, 2015

Running/Gym Etiquette

On Wednesdays Goose has basketball practice. It's at a facility that has an indoor track above the basketball courts. After a couple of weeks of sitting in the hard plastic chairs courtside, I thought I'd make a go of actually moving while he was practicing instead of sitting like a bump on a log. Up to the track I went. As I started walking and interacting with all the other gym-goers, I noticed a few things I'd like to share about what people should or shouldn't do at the gym.


  • DO follow the rules that are clearly posted on the signs. The arrows that show which way track traffic is supposed to go aren't a suggestion.
  • DON'T take up the entire width of the track with your pack of walking/running buddies. You're impeding traffic on the track. Nobody likes to be back-logged.
  • DO make every effort to NOT smell. I know, I know you're at the gym and working up a sweat. If I can smell you from three lanes away, that's excessive and you should do something about it. Throw on a little deodorant and you'll be doing everyone a favor.
  • DON'T crowd the lanes. There is no need for you to brush up against me when you're passing me. There's plenty of space for you to pass the "slower" runners/walkers without giving them a sweat bath.
  • DON'T use the railing that overlooks said basketball practice to get your stretch on. 1. You're interrupting the flow of traffic by standing in the middle of a lane and 2. If I can see your man parts in all their glory, so can the 2nd graders that are right under you. Not appropriate, take it somewhere else.
These are just a few tips that would make the gym experience more pleasant for everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment