Monday, January 5, 2015

Shower Renovations

I've been working on a redo of the shower in our master bathroom for a ridiculously large amount of time.  In May it will have been two years since I decided to "re-grout" the shower.  A few weeks of working on the shower after work in the evenings and making little progress, it became obvious to me that even after I re-grouted, the tile would need to be replaced in a couple of years any way.  Not too long after this realization, S and I decided that we should just re-tile the shower. Demo didn't take that long and we didn't really hit any real bumps in the road. For me, the only snag was what to do about the flooring.  The toilet is also in the same area as the shower. I lovingly refer to this room as the shower closet. In a separate, larger room are two sink vanities and sit down vanity. My dilemma is that even though the shower closet and the tub area are two separate rooms, I'd still like the entire area to have the same flooring and we considered radiant heat flooring or at least I did. S wasn't sold on it. He couldn't justify the expense for three months a year of cold weather. I didn't want to work in the shower until we made a decision. Fortunately it's not our only shower so bathing wasn't an issue. And until we do the flooring, the toilet is still functional. So is the tub area. Winter Break saw some activity on the shower.  I finally put up the cement board along with mudding/taping. I ran out of material on the the last bit of cement board and need to run to the hardware store to pick up some more.  After that, it's tiling time.  This has been a long time coming and I'm happy with the progress. I've almost forgotten what it's like to get ready for work in the master bath. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it looks good.

No comments:

Post a Comment